Introduction to the blog and one of the bloggers (Saleena)

Hi,  I am librarian (20 years!) at the South Brunswick Public Library, and I used to only think of myself as a "book" person; forgetting all about the comics I read because "they didn't count".

Thankfully, the world has moved on and discovered that comics DO count and it's more of a format then a genre, and with all the movie and tv show adaptations; it has BLOWN UP as a genre.  However, one thing to remember is that not all comics are about superheroes, and not all manga has an anime series already up and running (also, the format of manga is beginning to be seen in NonFiction as well).

While I do prefer the speculative genres, I do love to learn things and have found the graphic novel format to be an amazing gift; allowing me to learn about someone or a topic in a less formidable but still informative style.  For the fiction....well, I do still prefer SF & Fantasy topics, as well as humorous stories; but again....will read anything.

So, this is the space to talk about graphic novels and manga and comics with superheroes (and without) and all that the word "comics" encompasses.  I work with teens, but read on all levels; so this will be a smattering of them.  Other librarians may contribute to this blog, they will sign their reviews or their conversations also.   We will be sure to mark when something is meant for various age groups (as in, hey, this was rated...T or M), if it's rated; and if it isn't what group we feel would most appreciate it regardless of the rating.  We will also talk about whether or not we agree with the rating (sometimes they are ridiculous); and how well they are written in our opinion.

Share your thoughts in the comments.  We want to hear from you!

Saleena Davidson


Below are covers from some of my all time favorite stories, as an intro to what I like.  Feel free to follow the library or me on Goodreads as well.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nonfiction Graphic Novels

Exploring diversity in comics

New & Fun Fiction Stories